City of Salisbury
COUNCIL MEETING AGENDA
September 15, 2015 – 4:00 p.m.
1. Invocation to be given by Mayor Pro Tem Blackwell.
2. Call to order.
3. Pledge of Allegiance.
4. Recognition of visitors present.
5. Council to consider a RESOLUTION recognizing Risk Manager Richard Kelly for his
retirement after 38 years of distinguished service.
6. Mayor to proclaim the following:
CONSTITUTION WEEK September 17-23, 2015
7. Council to consider the CONSENT AGENDA:
(a) Approve Minutes of the Special Meeting of August 25, 2015 and the Regular Meeting
of September 1, 2015.
(b) Adopt a Budget ORDINANCE amendment to the FY2015-2016 budget in the amount
of $13,000 to appropriate various Police donations.
8. Council to receive a report and hold a public hearing regarding the FY2014-2015 Consolidated
Annual Planning and Evaluation Report (CAPER) for Community Development Block Grant
(CDBG) and HOME programs:
(a) Receive a presentation from staff
(b) Hold a public hearing.
9. Council to consider voluntary annexation of 17.69 acres, The Gables at Kepley Farms, Phases
2A, 3 and 4:
(a) Receive a presentation from staff
(b) Hold a public hearing
(c) Consider adopting an ORDINANCE annexing The Gables at Kepley Farms, Phases
2A, 3 and 4.
10. Council to consider issuance of a Special Use Permit for SUP-03-15 to allow the operation of a
Child Daycare Center in Residence at 433 Willow Road:
(a) Swear in those persons testifying at public hearing
(b) Ex Parte Disclosure
(c) Hold a public hearing – present evidence
(1) Receive testimony from staff
(2) Receive testimony from proponents and opponents
(d) Findings of Fact
(e) Decision – Council to consider issuing a Special Use Permit to allow the operation of a
Child Daycare Center in Residence at 433 Willow Road.
11. Council to consider accepting Spring Arbor Avenue, Sonoma Lane, and Drake Lane for City
Maintenance and adopting an ORDINANCE to establish stop conditions and begin the one
year warranty period.
12. Council to consider a request for temporary use of the public right-of-way for four parking
spaces and the sidewalk adjacent to 113 East Fisher Street beginning September 4, 2015 and
ending March 15, 2016.
13. Council to consider a request from Novant Health Rowan Medical Center for a dedicated
shuttle lane along Rutherford Street and a portion of West Henderson Street.
14. Council to consider authorizing staff to pursue a change in scope for CMAQ Project C-4908G,
Salisbury Mall area sidewalks.
15. Council to receive public comments.
16. City Manager’s Comments.
(a) Fibrant Press Conference Update.
(b) Other comments.
17. Mayor’s Announcements.
(a) The Salisbury Parks and Recreation Department will host the annual NFL Punt, Pass,
and Kick competition Sunday, September 20, 2015 at 2:00 p.m. at Catawba College
Shuford Stadium. Boys and girls ages 6 to 15 can register in advance at nflppk.com or
on site the day of the competition with a copy of their birth certificate. Please
remember to wear sneakers, cleats are not allowed. For more information call (704)
(b) Salisbury Parks and Recreation will host “Music at the Mural” Saturday, September 26,
2015 at 7:00 p.m. in the 100 block of West Fisher Street. Bring a chair and enjoy music
in the heart of downtown Salisbury. The event is free and open to the public.
COUNCIL MEETING AGENDA – PAGE 3 – SEPTEMBER 15, 2015
(c) Salisbury Parks and Recreation will host the “Brown Bag Lunch Jam” concert series at
Eastern Gateway Park every Wednesday from 12:00 noon until 1:30 p.m. through
September 30, 2015. Bring a lunch and enjoy some of Salisbury’s best local talent.
This event is free and open to the public.
(d) Applications are being accepted for the 2015-2016 Historic Preservation Incentive
Grants The matching grants are available on a competitive basis for exterior projects on
owner-occupied homes in the four residential local historic districts: North Main Street,
Brooklyn South Square, West Square, and Ellis Street Graded School. Applications are
available by calling (704) 638-5324. All applications must be received by September
(e) Other announcements.
Council meetings are streamed live at www.salisburync.gov/webcast